Flood Mitigation Resources
Search Results for: National Flood Insurance Program at SDCC.info
Search Results for: CRS or Community Rating System at SDCC.info
FEMA.gov: The National Flood Insurance Program
FEMA Region III: Virginia Beach Flood Information Portal Map (THE Map)
Coastal Virginia CRS Workgroup: CRS Users Groups are communities that meet regularly to provide a forum
WetlandsWatch.org: Flood Insurance and Biggert-Waters Guide for Policyholders
WetlandsWatch.org: HFIAA Summary of Aprill1 2016 changes. (1 pg PDF)
CRSResources.org: 500 Series: Flood Damage Reduction
CIP Project Page 2.168.000: Lesner Bridge Replacement
(Note: If above hot link is broken, use this and search 2.168.000 .)
CIP Project Page also includes:
BAC Presentation Feb. 16, 2012 (2.12 MB pdf)
Design Charette Summary Report (721.20 KB pdf)
Environmental FONSI (0.98 MB pdf)
Landscaping Concept at Bridge Approach (121.64 KB pjpeg)
Landscaping Concept Under Bridge (123.12 KB pjpeg)
Lighting Concept (3.26 MB pjpeg)
OPCL Presentation March 8, 2012 (1.48 MB pdf)
Pathway Concept (1.50 MB pjpeg)
Public Notice – Coast Guard – Lesner Bridge (1.63 MB pdf)
Railing Concept (100.61 KB pjpeg)
Selected Bridge Structure (174.16 KB pjpeg)
Selected Pier Shape (145.38 KB pjpeg)
Selected Project Theme–Natural/Recreational (1.55 MB pjpeg)
Selected Span Configuration 150′ typical, 225′ main span (247.46 KB pjpeg)
The purpose of the Lesner Bridge Replacement Project is to replace a structurally deficient and functionally obsolete bridge. As part of this project, there is also an opportunity to make safety improvements for the traveling public crossing the bridge (automobile, pedestrian and bicycle) and to enhance the aesthetics, open space, landscape and architecture of the Shore Drive Corridor.
The New Lesner Bridge. The Official Presentation. (At SDCC.info)
Flooding and storm surge
- This project corrects drainage problems in various established neighborhoods and other areas that fall beyond the scope of normal maintenance, but do not meet the criteria to stand as a separate CIP project. New projects are added to the needs list each year based on reported flooding problems and field maintenance reports. Some projects may be subject to jurisdictional wetlands regulations.
There could be dredge spoils sites accepting public and private waste from any where in the Lynnhaven Watershed at 21 locations, Lynnhaven Boat Ramp & Beach Facility, and Maple Street in Cape Story
Remember the beloved Lynnhaven Boat Ramp & Beach Facility plan to receive unknown and unlimited dredge spoils from the entire Lynnhaven Watershed was officially killed in 2009?
The idea is back on the table.
Start here to learn more and to click one link to email City Council, Beaches & Waterways Commission, Bayfront Advisory Committee, and Shore Drive Community Coalition in opposition to this insane idea:
“The Assistant City Manager and City Staff were there to present plans for the Lesner Bridge replacement AND Building a Permanent Industrial Site at Crab Creek.”
- UPDATE: City of Virginia Beach filed a Joint Permit Application with VMRC.
City Council unanimously passes Resolution to take Maple Street off the table. Link at SDCC.info.
Note: Beaches and Waterways Commission info available at bottom of page entitled: Neighborhood Channel Dredging at VBGov.com.
More also at:
Save The Lynnhaven Boat Ramp and Beach Facility (Facebook)
Links to, and screen shots of archived Official Western Branch Lynnhaven River Maintenance Dredging (CIP 8-005) Public Works page at VBGov.com.
Shore Drive Corridor Improvements Projects
2.116.000: Shore Drive Corridor Improvements – Phase II (Partial)
(Note: If above hot link is broken, use this and search 2.116.000 .)
- This project will provide safety improvements, including pedestrian walkways and bikeways, along the Shore Drive corridor from South Oliver Drive/Waterspoint Place to Treasure Island Drive. It will also include improvements along Shore Drive at the Northampton Boulevard interchange and to the intersections at Pleasure House Road and at Greenwell Road.
2.117.000: Shore Drive Corridor Improvements – Phase III (Partial)
(Note: If above hot link is broken, use this and search 2.117.000 .)
- This project begins at Vista Circle, near the eastern end of the Lesner Bridge, and extends eastward through the Great Neck Road intersection and terminates at Croix Drive. This project will improve vehicular and pedestrian traffic flow and safety in the roadway and intersections; improve storm drainage; include a multi-use trail, 5-ft sidewalk and on-street bike lanes; and enhance the corridor with aesthetic elements such as landscaping and lighting.
2.118.000: Shore Drive Corridor Improvements – Phase IV
(Note: If above hot link is broken, use this and search 2.118.000 .)
- This project begins at the Marlin Bay Drive/Sandy Oaks Drive intersection and ends at the west end of the Lesner Bridge. This project will improve vehicular and pedestrian traffic flow and safety in the roadway and intersections; improve storm drainage; include a multi-use trail, 5-ft sidewalk and on-street bike lanes; and enhance the corridor with aesthetic elements such as landscaping and lighting. It will include improvements at the East Stratford Road intersection.
Note: projected end date of all infrastructure improvements of Shore Drive including replacing the Lesner Bridge is ~ September 2026.